Tuesday, April 22, 2008

The braces issue - fixed!

I posted my dilemma regarding braces on the MakeMusic forums. A kindly soul took a look at my brace and managed to make it himself just using the editor in Finale's Document Options. Somehow in my previous efforts I missed the setting marked "Center Thickness," which was the catalyst for all of my adventures in Illustrator and Photoshop.

While I am now able to achieve my desired braces in Finale, this does not excuse the truly miserable time I had trying to import graphics. Maybe it's just me and the combination of software and hardware I have on my system. Maybe I did or did not check a particular setting when creating my images.

Oh well. At least it works now.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

So... you were doing it incorrectly?

Matthew Maslanka said...

Not really. I missed a setting on the braces properties sheet. I'm pretty sure I exhausted all of my options with the graphics import function though.

In fact, if I define the braces so they look good at one staff distance, they don't look so good when they are stretched or contracted from that distance. I will probably have to bring the pages into Illustrator anyway.

Adam Houghton said...

>> Maybe it's just me and the combination
>> of software and hardware I have on
>> my system.

If only there were a magical combination of software and hardware that worked seamlessly together and was targeted at professionals in the graphics & artistic communities...

; )

Matthew Maslanka said...

Alas, I don't think Finale runs appreciably better on the vaunted Oh Ess Ten. I think its problems transcend any operating system or hardware... :)